What is PebblePad3
PebblePad3 is here!
It has been 8 years in the making but PebblePad finally realises its potential with the release of PebblePad3. Emerging from extensive engagement with the PebblePad community and our own brand of learner-centred philosophy we expect ’3 to make as big an impact on learning as it did in 2004 when it was first tentatively used.
The new architecture of PebblePad3 means that instead of developing a single, monolithic system we have been able to design different modules for specific purposes. Significantly this approach has enabled us to make clearer the distinction between the personal space for learning desired by individuals, and the more formal space required by institutions. At launch then there will be two core modules: Pebble+ and ATLAS.
Pebble+ is the Personal Learning Space and remains as private and confidential as PebblePad always has been. Pebble+ provides learners with a space to record their myriad experiences, to make sense of their learning, and to aggregate their assets into powerful presentations that reflect their growth, knowledge and capability - all supported by our structured and reflective templates.
We have always been concerned with design, both the system’s aesthetics and its ease of use. Pebble+ has a new and very different interface , and yet one which will be comfortably familiar to current users.
Flash is still the interface of choice for users wanting a slick and engaging experience, but we have also invested considerably in an HTML version for users whose location, device or individual needs make this preferable.
The sliding pads from PebblePad Classic have gone; information is now entered into templates. Pebble+ retains the tried and tested templates of Classic but all users can now create and share their own designs using a brilliantly simple drag and drop method that mirrors the process used for creating other items like webfolios. The flexibility of the template builder means that there are endless possible uses from learners creating their own reflective models, to teachers creating preparation templates for complex experiments, procedures or placements. Additionally templates subsume what were formerly called profiles, meaning they can be used to structure formal frameworks of competences, capabilities, skills, and qualities.
Of course, for users moving to Pebble+ from Classic all of their existing assets, forms and profiles will upgrade without loss. And the benefits of moving? Here are a few:
- Ease of use has been dramatically improved
- Any text in any asset can be formatted allowing users to easily add emphasis, annotations or hyperlinks anywhere
- Multiple assets can be opened at the same time
- Assets can be easily resized to improve editing or viewing and previewed as they’re completed
- Tagging is made easy, predictive and powerful
- Multiple files can be uploaded at once with no system limits on file size
- Files like video and images are compressed on upload and streamed back to the viewer
ATLAS is the new name for gateways. It is the Institutional Space designed to support active teaching, learning and assessment. It is the space where learners, organised into groups or sets on workspaces, will typically submit their assets for feedback, peer review or validation. Because ATLAS is designed to facilitate institutional processes it supports activities like blind and double blind marking, external review, grading and assessment archiving.
For some time teachers have been expanding what they did with gateways - sometimes inventing ways of working that were unanticipated and unplanned for. This innovative practice has informed the design of ATLAS to encompass both the submission and assessment of assets, and the resources, support, and conversations that help to optimise learning. So in a typical workspace , in addition to the Submissions page, users will find pages called About, Resources and Conversations. In effect workspaces act as virtual group spaces where the common goal is to support and authentically assess learning and achievement.
To make the life of the teacher easier, whilst optimising opportunities for learning, ATLAS includes:
- shareable, reusable collections of feedback statements
- customisable feedback templates
- extensive reporting on submitted assets
- tools to manage multiple groups in a single workspace
- 3-level approval system for comprehensive quality assurance
- complete logging of workspace activity
All elements of PebblePad3 are designed to readily link to other systems, both inside and outside the institution, including other learning technologies, staff and student data systems as well as social tools such as Facebook, Twitter, Blogger, Flickr and YouTube. These links allow the user to draw upon data held elsewhere for re-use within Pebble+ or ATLAS. Users will also be able to publish directly from Pebble+ to other systems such as Blogger and Twitter - as well as to other institutional systems for assessment, promotion, accreditation and numerous other purposes.
PebblePad3 Road Map
We will continue to innovate in order to provide ever more support for personal and professional learning and development.
The short-term road map includes:
- A global social space for users to connect with other learners and professionals
- User generated collaboration spaces to support interdisciplinary, inter-institutional and international learning
- Deeper interoperability with other institutional learning technologies utilising the new IMS LTI standard
- Direct audio and video recording
- A suite of annotation tools for teachers and assessors in ATLAS
- A suite of apps for all major mobile devices
- Extensible APIs to allow 3rd party developers to integrate with PebblePad3
If you think you fully understand what’s possible with PebblePad3 you don’t yet fully understand PebblePad3. We have a broad sense of its potential but eagerly look forward to working with our inspiring community to explore and better understand the new affordances of the uniquely personal Pebble+ and the equally singular ATLAS; a new space for active learning and authentic assessment.
- PebblePad3 News Blog stay up-to-date with the latest development in PebblePad3
- PebblePad3 Webinars watch now
- PebblePad3 Symposia netwoking, presentations and reflections
- All About PebblePad3 a closer look at PebblePad3
- What is PebblePad3? Download PDF
- Functional Overview Download PDF
- Functional Checklist Download PDF